Reporting to: Care Leader/Senior Team Leader
Location: Penpergwm House Residential Home
Responsible For: Being a caring & supportive part of the Care team
Hours: 7.15pm – 7.45am
Salary: £8 – 8.70 p/h depending on qualifications
Important: Due to the rural location of Penpergwm House and limited bus service, this role is only suitable for those who have a driver’s license and the use of a vehicle at all times
Job Purpose: To provide a quality service of direct care to residents living in the home. Promoting independence and dignity and provide support in order to maintain their health and status. You will do this by providing psychological, emotional and practical support along with sensitive personal care. You will respect residents and their rights at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Monitor all residents during the night, carrying out hourly regular checks at intervals designated by the Team Leader or Manager. Take appropriate action when needed.
• To do 2 hourly pressure relief rounds which include assisting clients to the toilet or changing their incontinence products.
• Support each resident as agreed and designated in their personal Plan of Care.
• Sensitively assist and support residents in all aspects of personal hygiene as needed during the night shift
• Assist and support residents in dressing/undressing and bed making as required.
• To be on call and available at all times during the night (Sleeping on duty will result in being dismissed).
• Preparation and serving of drinks as required.
• Keep all communal areas clean and tidy.
• Attend to any medication needs as directed, including collecting any samples.
• Report any concerns or issues regarding the residents to the Team Leader as appropriate, including the reporting of any complaints.
• Carry out all necessary actions in case of an emergency, including calling the relevant service, ambulance, fire, or police, and inform Registered Manager or other responsible person. Accompany resident/s if necessary.
• Be aware of health and safety issues when working with the residents and work within the Health and Safety at Work Act during hours of employment.
• Communicate with other care professionals when appropriate regarding the delivery of care to the resident/s.
• To fill in Night Carers Check List to confirm that 2 hourly checks of all residents carried out.
• To record accurately any records or reports that may need completing at the request of the Team Leader or Manager, including completing the nightly record on CareSys
• Report and record all accidents, mishaps, and complaints following Penpergwm House policies and procedures.
• Attend any meetings that contribute to the effective delivery of care and good communication.
Skills and Abilities:
• Empathy and a positive attitude when working with elderly residents.
• Build friendly and supportive relationships.
• To be able to work as part of a team.
• Able to follow instructions as well as use own initiative as appropriate.
• Demonstrate practical skills.
• Communicate effectively, showing tact ,patience, and sensitivity.
• Good verbal and written skills for information and record keeping.
• Participate in housekeeping activities such as preparing drinks and snacks, vegetable preparation, and laundering/ironing as required.
• Work within a service user led environment.
• Work within the organisations Equal Opportunities Policies.
Knowledge and Training:
• An understanding of present philosophies in the care of the elderly and supporting people in a residential home and the legislation governing this area of care.
• A commitment to training relevant to care in a residential home and personal development of knowledge and skills in this area.
• Agree to undertake statutory training to meet requirements under the Care Standards Act, including NVQ 2.
Experience of working in a relevant area of care is desirable but not essential, as knowledge of the type of service and a commitment to learn will be supported by induction and supervised working until competent.
The night shift is a waking shift to monitor the residents throughout the night and carry out other tasks as designated. Sleeping on duty is not allowed and is a dismissible offence.