To provide a quality service of direct care to all clients living within the Home, mainly at WEEKENDS. Promoting independence and dignity and provide support in order to maintain their health and status. You will do this by providing psychological, emotional and practical support along with sensitive personal care. You will respect clients and their rights at all times.
Reporting to: Care Leader / Team Leader/ Deputy Manager/ Registered Manager
Contracted Shifts available over a set 4 week rota:
Day Shifts (7.30am – 7.30pm) Early Shifts (7.30am – 4pm)
Important: Due to the rural location of Penpergwm House and limited bus service, this role is only suitable for those who have a driver’s license and the use of a vehicle at all times.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support each resident as agreed and designated in their personal Care Plan.
- Sensitively assist and support residents in all aspects of personal hygiene including bathing and/or showering.
- Assist and support residents in dressing/undressing and bed making as required.
- Maintain an attractive and stimulating environment and assist/encourage residents to join in activities.
- Assist in serving of main meals in the dining room ensuring residents have sufficient food and drinks. Assist in collecting dishes etc.
- Welcome and provide hospitality to visitors.
- Report any concerns or issues regarding the residents to the Team Leader or other manager as appropriate, including the reporting of any complaints.
- Accompany residents to hospital, doctors and other healthcare professionals or on social outings or activities.
- Be aware of health and safety issues when working with the residents and work within the Health and Safety at Work Act during hours of employment.
- Communicate with other care professionals when appropriate regarding the delivery of care to the resident/s.
- Be part of the keyworker system to promote advocacy and the rights of the residents.
- Record & write up daily activities and notes
- Carers are expected to help out at activity sessions by encouraging residents to attend and taking instructions from the person putting on the activity to ensure the smooth running of the session. Nominated helpers will be marked on the rota.
- To record accurately any records or reports that may need completing at the request of the Team Leader or manager.
- Take due diligence when assisting residents in the management or spending of their monies following any policies and procedures, and record accurately as necessary.
- Report and record all accidents, mishaps, and complaints following Penpergwm House policies and procedures.
- Attend any meetings that contribute to the effective delivery of care and good communication, including meetings concerning the keyworker system and updating Care Plans.
Skills and Abilities:
- Empathy and a positive attitude when working with elderly residents.
- Build friendly and supportive relationships.
- To be able to work as part of a team.
- Able to follow instructions as well as use own initiative as appropriate.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Communicate effectively, showing tact ,patience, and sensitivity.
- Be able to work in a flexible manner in order to meet the differing needs of the service which will include some weekends on a rota basis.
- Participate in housekeeping activities such as preparing simple meals/snacks and laundering as required.
- Work within a service user led environment.
- Work within the organisations Equal Opportunities Policies.
- The ability to drive is desirable. Staff with the ability to drive will be expected to drive the company vehicles.
- Vaccinated against Covid19 virus
Knowledge and Training:
- An understanding of present philosophies in the care of the elderly and supporting people in a residential home and the legislation governing this area of care.
- A commitment to training relevant to care in a residential home and personal development of knowledge and skills in this area.
- Agree to undertake statutory training to meet requirements under the Care Standards Act, including obtaining a QCF Level 2 in Health & Social Care, if not already achieved.
- Experience of working in a relevant area of care is desirable. However knowledge of the type of service and a commitment to learn will be supported by induction and supervised working until competent
- Potential to professionally develop and take on more responsibility if you choose.
Salary: £9.10 per hour
One PCR and 2 LFD tests to be taken every week
Masks worn at all times
PPE used for any client out of hospital and self isolating.