Hours: 6.5 hour shifts and 12.5 hour shifts
Starting from: ASAP
Qualifications: Minimum QCF 2 or working towards one
Experience: Minimum 2 years working in the care industry
Reporting to: Registered Manager and Senior Team Leader
Pay: £8.80 p/h
Penpergwm House is looking for evening and night carers who is caring, calm and confident in leading a team of carers to provide an exceptional care service for our clients. This is a busy care setting and high standards are expected in all areas of the home, at all times. NOTE: Due to the rural nature of our setting, being a driver with access to your own vehicle is a requirement.
Penpergwm House Residential Home is a very well established Care Home where quality service and care for our clients is at the heart of what we do. Our Care Leaders are the vital link between the clients, day to day care staff and the Senior Team Leader and Manager. Throughout the whole week – this individual must be responsible for ensuring that the Care provision within the setting is coordinated safely and effectively with the well being of each and every client at the core of their role. You must be friendly, professional, responsive, articulate and have the ability to work under pressure. A good knowledge of the Care industry is a must with the ability to both give and follow instructions.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Support each resident as agreed and designated in their personal Care Plan.
- Sensitively assist and support residents in all aspects of personal hygiene including bathing and/or showering.
- Assist and support residents in dressing/undressing and bed making as required.
- Maintain an attractive and stimulating environment and assist/encourage residents to join in activities.
- Assist in serving of main meals in the dining room ensuring residents have sufficient food and drinks. Assist in collecting dishes etc.
- Welcome and provide hospitality to visitors.
- Report any concerns or issues regarding the residents to the Team Leader or other manager as appropriate, including the reporting of any complaints.
- Accompany residents to hospital, doctors and other healthcare professionals or on social outings or activities.
- Be aware of health and safety issues when working with the residents and work within the Health and Safety at Work Act during hours of employment.
- Communicate with other care professionals when appropriate regarding the delivery of care to the resident/s.
- Be part of the Keyworker system to promote advocacy and the rights of the residents.
- Record daily activities on the CareSys computer system (full training will be given).
- Carers are expected to help out at activity sessions by encouraging residents to attend and taking instructions from the person putting on the activity to ensure the smooth running of the session. Nominated helpers will be marked on the rota.
- To record accurately any records or reports that may need completing at the request of the Team Leader or manager.
- Take due diligence when assisting residents in the management or spending of their monies following any policies and procedures, and record accurately as necessary.
- Report and record all accidents, mishaps, and complaints following Penpergwm House policies and procedures.
- Attend any meetings that contribute to the effective delivery of care and good communication, including meetings concerning the Keyworker system and updating Care Plans.
Skills and Abilities:
- Empathy and a positive attitude when working with elderly residents.
- Build friendly and supportive relationships.
- To be able to work as part of a team.
- Able to follow instructions as well as use own initiative as appropriate.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Communicate effectively, showing tact ,patience, and sensitivity.
- Be able to work in a flexible manner in order to meet the differing needs of the service which will include some weekends on a rota basis.
- Participate in housekeeping activities such as preparing simple meals/snacks and laundering as required.
- Work within a service user led environment.
- Work within the organisations Equal Opportunities Policies.
- The ability to drive is desirable. Staff with the ability to drive will be expected to drive the company vehicles if needed.
Knowledge and Training:
- An understanding of present philosophies in the care of the elderly and supporting people in a residential home and the legislation governing this area of care.
- A commitment to training relevant to care in a residential home and personal development of knowledge and skills in this area.
- Agree to undertake statutory training to meet requirements under the Care Standards Act, including obtaining a QCF Level 2 in Health & Social care.
- Experience of working in a relevant area of care is desirable. However knowledge of the type of service and a commitment to learn will be supported by induction and supervised working until competent.